I officially dub this the summer of popsicles! So many popsicle recipes have been floating around that I decided I needed to go out, buy myself a popsicle mould, and get popsicling.
Seems easy enough; throw a bunch of stuff into a food processor, blend it, and then freeze it in the moulds. Kind of like making baby food, except you don’t feel weird about eating it yourself.
One of the recipes that really caught my eye used coconut milk and avocado. I googled similar recipes but didn’t find one that totally fit the bill, so I decided to go rogue. I prefer tart flavours and not overly sweet ones. I would never make a popsicle with added sweeteners as I don’t believe its necessary. Fruit has enough of its own natural sugars to do the job. In this recipe I used a ripe banana to add in some extra sweetness. If you have more of a sweet tooth than I do, you can always try adding more banana and less avocado. Also, ensure your pineapple is nice and ripe (more ripe = more sweet).
This recipe made eight 2oz pops with some leftover. I probably could have filled at least 1, if not 2, more moulds.
Greeña Colada Pops
- 200 mL coconut milk (1/2 can) *I used full fat but I’m sure lite would work as well
- 2 medium avocados
- 1 ripe banana (one of the black ones in your freezer will work well)
- Juice of 2 limes
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1/3 cup chopped pineapple
- Place all of the ingredients into a food processor or blender
- Blend well until you get a smooth consistency
- Spoon mixture into popsicle moulds
- Freeze for at least 4 hours
- Remove from mould and enjoy
These turn out to be nice and creamy. You could probably even partially freeze this (or use an ice cream maker) and serve it as an ice cream.
Hope you enjoy! Any feedback is appreciated.